Sunday, June 10, 2018

What I've Been Watching: New Movies

I am so excited to share with you some of the movies I've seen recently! I believe most of these are still in theaters. In April I signed up for MoviePass and have been using it quite frequently ever since. I definitely recommend the service. It's $10/month and you can see a new movie every day in theaters. Some of my friends have mentioned seeing complaints about the app and the companies customer service, but my experience has been very positive. I love watching movies and this is a great deal to see way more than I normally would. I've also used my pass to see A Shape of Water, Call Me By Your Name, and I Feel Pretty.


AMERICAN ANIMALS 

Now this is definitely a movie I probably never would have never seen in theaters if it wasn't for MoviePass. They did a lot of advertising for it and that definitely drew my attention. AMERICAN ANIMALS is based on the true story of four college students who plan a heist to steal millions of dollars in rare books from their school library. This was extremely well cast and I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout the film. It was very tense and I had no idea how things would end. AMERICAN ANIMALS also included the real people who participated in the heist and were impacted by it. Their comments were interspersed in the movie and it worked perfectly. Highly recommended! 



A QUIET PLACE 

This movie was crazy good! I hate "dumb" scary movies where people are just getting killed or chopped up for no reason and every character makes the worst decisions. A QUIET PLACE was smart, creepy, and incredibly tense. This is not the kind of movie you want to watch with someone who talks a lot or in a loud environment. The silence is part of what makes it so wonderfully scary. I've always been a fan of Jon Krasinski (literally just because of The Office), but he proved himself as more than capable to handle diverse roles and be a creator himself. The cast was superb and I was literally on the edge of my seat from the first scene to the last. 


OCEAN'S 8

I've never seen the original Ocean movies, but I was excited by the idea of an all-female heist movie. Plus, I loved the cast. It started out very fun and exciting, the only thing that seemed a bit hard to believe was the ending. OCEAN'S 8 had incredible fashion, celebrities, and a unique plot, but it wasn't my favorite heist film. It was overall very feel good and a nice guilty-pleasure to watch on a rainy afternoon.


BOOK CLUB

This is another one I probably would never have seen without MoviePass. Even though it's about books and has a stellar
cast, the trailer didn't really have enough to draw me in. Luckily, this ended up being a very real and enjoyable film. The four women in the book club are each dealing with things in their personal lives, mostly related to their relationships, and when they decided to read Fifty Shades of Gray for their book club, everything changes. Jane Fonda seriously never ages and I loved how this story would appeal to both older and younger generations. 

SOLO

I am definitely a Star Wars fan although it has been years since I've watched the originals. I need to remedy that! I enjoyed The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, but haven't seen Rogue One. It has been a bit of Star Wars overkill, so that could partially explain why SOLO is performing so poorly at the box office. Still, I actually enjoyed SOLO a lot. It might not be made for the tried and true fan of the series, but it was entertaining with a great cast. My favorite aspects of the story were about Han and Chewbacca's meeting and watching their relationship develop. Some aspects of the story were a little off and I didn't love the ending. All in all though I do not think SOLO deserves all of the hate because it was an enjoyable story that kept me engaged until the end.



Have you seen any of these movies? I'm hoping to go see Adrift this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)