Thursday, June 7, 2018

Review: Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Release date: October 22, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages:526
Reading level: Young adult
Genre: Dystopia
Source: Purchased
Series: Book 3 (Divergent, Insurgent)
Links: Author • GoodreadsAmazon

Overall: 2 out of 5 stars 
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningliess. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend to complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
Review: 

What the heck! This was so... not good? I read INSURGENT in 2012 and never got around to ALLEGIANT until now. I blame college, but also maybe I somehow felt this would be disappointing. I have been reading a lot of 600+ page nonfiction books lately, so I felt like ALLEGIANT would be a quick and enjoyable break. Unfortunately, it took me more than two weeks to read. I figured it would take me a couple chapters to get reconnected to the characters and the world since it had been such a long time since I had started the series, but I just could not get into it. I started and finished other books all while letting this one sit half read. When I finally got around to finishing it the ending was just so random and messed up that I felt completely disappointed in this promising series.

I know I loved DIVERGENT and recommended it frequently. The world-building, the characters, the romance...everything was so unique and exciting. I even enjoyed INSURGENT. Tris is finally able to venture beyond the walls and explore the outside world (as is the reader). She has been through so much and I was interested to see where this new experience would take her and Tobias. I don't want to spoil anything (although I'm sure most of you have read this by now) but there were so many aspects to the outside world that felt forced, uninteresting, and just plain confusing. The war over genetic purity, Tris's mother's connection, the new characters... it was a lot to take in, but also a lot that just didn't make much sense.

The chapters alternated between Tris and Four's perspectives. This seemed interesting in theory, but didn't play out so well. I wanted more of Tris and was used to being in her head. Four's chapters didn't feel any different and I often lost track of who I was reading about. I also felt both characters were acting totally out of character and made decisions that didn't fit their narrative. There was a lot of promise for ALLEGIANT and I was eager to see how Veronica Roth would conclude this story. That brings me to the ending. My surprise and disappointment was not necessarily because of what happened, but because of how unnecessary and pointless it seemed.

All in all, ALLEGIANT was not what I had hoped. The big reveals and conflict did not make sense to me in relation to the rest of the story, the characters were not themselves, and I did not get much of a resolution. If you are debating starting the series I still highly recommend it. DIVERGENT was incredible and had such a unique and compelling premise. Tris is also an admirable heroine. Unfortunately, the conclusion of the series was not enjoyable, but I am still glad I got to see how Veronica Roth chose to end it. This is a truly one of a kind series and I only wish this final book was not so disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)