Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pies and Prejudice Review

Pies and Prejudice by Heather Vogel Frederick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release date: September 14, 2010
Source: Author/Publisher
Other books in the series: The Mother Daughter Book Club, Much Ado About Ann, and Dear Pen Pal

Right before the start of their freshman year, the mother-daughter book club faces yet another challenge when Emma’s family unexpectedly moves to England. Leave it to the resourceful girls, however, to find a way to continue meeting and discuss a particularly fitting choice, Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

In England, Emma encounters a new queen bee, Annabelle, who sets out to make her life miserable. Back in Massachusetts, meanwhile, Annabelle’s cousins swap homes with Emma’s family and are causing some major distractions. Cassidy clashes with moody Tristan, a modern day Mr. Darcy, while her friends swoon over Tristan’s younger brother Simon. As the year progresses, the girls each discover new talents, and when they cook up a plan to bring Emma home for a visit by holding a bake sale, it grows into a thriving business, Pies & Prejudice. After their sweet scheme looks like it’s going to fall short, though, they’re left wondering if the club will ever all be together again.

Review:

Pies and Prejudice was another fun and original addition to the Mother Daughter Book Club series. The characters are all likable and well developed and I love reading about their different trials and triumphs.

To start off, Cassidy, Becca, Emma, Jess, and Megan are all extremely relatable and fantastic main characters. The novel was written in alternating points of view, so I really grew attached to each of the girls. I could relate to each of the girls in some way, but I think Jess and Emma are my favorite. I can especially relate to Jess’s love for animals and Emma’s for reading. The twist involving Emma moving to England was a great side of the story and it was fun being introduced to so many new characters. Especially certain British ones ;)

The plot in Pies and Prejudice was always filled with excitement and new twists. Each of the characters was dealing with a lot and, luckily, they had each other for love and support. Considering how different all the girls are it’s amazing how the book club really drew them together. The novel in Pies and Prejudice was, aptly, Pride and Prejudice. I loved all the references to the classic and Jane Austen and hearing the book club’s perspective on the novel.

I’d have to say my favorite part of this book was Pies and Prejudice- the baking organization the girls created to raise money to bring Emma home for spring break. It was entertaining reading about the different cakes and pies the girls made and how successful the business was.

This is a middle grade novel, but I think it’s also great for high school students and older. It’s filled with good morals, great characters, and sweet romance. This series keeps getting better and better!

Overall, I definitely recommend picking this up whether you've read the rest of the series or not. And definitely check out the first three books if you haven't already!


Overall: 4.25 out of 5 stars

9 comments:

  1. I loved this entire series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review. I've read the first 100 pgs of the book and really liked it so far. I can't wait to finish it. I wish they told the story from Becca's POV too (I assume they don't start doing this later in Pies and Prej).
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding out about all those P- and Prejudice book titles! Great review, and I'll keep an eye out for this series. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK so ive read all the other books in the series and really hated the way the 3rd one ended! now that i see your review i really wanna read it! thank you so much!

    ~twistar24~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! I love books with morals and sweet romance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cover is soo cool. I just adore it. I have not read the previous books, but this one sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After this review, I definetely want to read this book. Thanks. Will add to be to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks great, I love the modern day Jane Austin feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! This book sounds really good! I'm sure I would enjoy the rest of the series.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)