Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones

Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Release date: July 15, 2014
Publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
Pages: 416
Reading level: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Links: Author's Website/Goodreads 

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
The X-Men meets Ocean's Eleven in this edge-of-your-seat sci-fi adventure about a band of "super" criminals.
When the MK virus swept across the planet, a vaccine was created to stop the epidemic, but it came with some unexpected side effects. A small percentage of the population developed superhero-like powers. Seventeen-year-old Ciere Giba has the handy ability to change her appearance at will. She's what's known as an illusionist...She's also a thief.
After a robbery goes awry, Ciere must team up with a group of fellow super-powered criminals on another job that most would consider too reckless. The formula for the vaccine that gave them their abilities was supposedly destroyed years ago. But what if it wasn't?
The lines between good and bad, us and them, and freedom and entrapment are blurred as Ciere and the rest of her crew become embroiled in a deadly race against the government that could cost them their lives.
Review:

Wow, I am so glad I decided to request Illusive on Netgalley! The catchphrase "X-men meets Ocean's Eleven" immediately caught my attention and I have to say the book definitely surprised me in more ways than one. I thoroughly enjoyed this debut from Emily Lloyd-Jones and will be recommending it to everyone this summer!

The plot was unlike anything I have read before. A virus has attacked the planet and the vaccine brings out some surprising side-effects. Suddenly, certain members of the population are discovering they have new super-powers. This was such a creative idea and I loved the world Lloyd-Jones created. Those individuals who got side-effects from the vaccine are feared by the rest of the population and end up involved in a variety of professions. For our main character, Ciere, it's theft.

Illusive was told through alternating points of view and in third-person point of view. At first, I wasn't sure how I would like that, but I ended up liking this method of story-telling a lot. Ciere was an awesome protagonist and I loved how independent and brave she was. Ciere had already been through a lot when she found other people experiencing similar side-effects as she had. It was fascinating to read about the different powers people had and how they used them- for good or for evil?

The characters were easy to like and they made the book for me. Daniel, Kit, and everyone else had something unique about them and it seemed as though no one was what they seemed. Although Illusive was over 400 pages I was engrossed from the start!

I haven't heard anything about this being a series, but the ending definitely left me wanting more! I am eager to see what happens next in what will hopefully be an equally action-packed and character driven sequel. I would highly recommend picking this up when it releases in July!

2 comments:

  1. I just read a different review of this book, and that reviewer seemed to love it just as much as you. Although this isn't a book I would typically pick up, I'll have to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)