Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith 
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Review: 

The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight was a breath of fresh air. I love a good contemporary read and this was the perfect holiday read. Jennifer E. Smith's books have been recommended to me before and I definitely wish I had picked one up earlier. If you're a fan of whirlwind love stories, definitely give this book a try.

Hadley was a character I immediately connected with. Although I don't have her family struggles, I felt for her and what she was going through with her dad. Usually, I don't always connect with books written in third person, but Jennifer did it very well. I felt like I was experiencing things right alongside Hadley and it made the book that much more enjoyable.

It was amazing to see how four minutes could change so much. That is all the time it took for Hadley to miss her flight and meet the sweet, funny, and lovable Oliver. Do not worry for one second that this book suffers from "insta-love syndrome". It doesn't. At all. Hadley and Oliver take the time to get to know each other and realize how alike they are. Hadley is smart and independent and someone I could see myself befriending in real life and her and Oliver's bantering was such fun to experience.

This wasn't just the story of Oliver and Hadley's romance, but so much more. Hadley had a lot going on with her family and the reader really got to see this side of her. Oliver also has more to him than meets the eye and I enjoyed getting to know the various characters introduced throughout the book. It's true that you never know who you are going to end up next to on a plane and Jennifer E. Smith made this premise work so well.

I only wish we got to see more of Oliver. He was such a great character and I loved the scenes he was in, but there just wasn't enough of him for me!

This book has been getting tons of buzz and it deserves every bit of it. Contemporary YA is making a comeback and I couldn't be happier. This is one of my favorite genres and Jennifer E. Smith's The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is not to be missed!

Overall: 4.25 out of 5 stars

January 2, 2011/Poppy/236 Pages/Young Adult

Source:
Publisher

9 comments:

  1. This book has been on my wishlist for so long and I have yet to see a bad review of it. I only wish that my local Walmart or Kmart would carry it. The closest book store is an hour bus ride from me so I don't get out there often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I'm glad you like it since it is in my wish list. It really looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh great review I loved this one! I also wish there was more Oliver but I also found the book was great the way it was. So happy you liked it too! :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't to finally get my hands on a copy of this book! I'm trying not to read any reviews, I don't want to spoil it. But I couldn't help myself! Awesome review, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to read this ever since I heard the title, which signaled smart and quirky. Glad it lives up to the hype! I'll put it on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen such great reviews. I really need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that it doesn't come across as instalove. I'm definitely going to have to check this book out!

    Great review, Kelsey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually bought this one the other week after reading so many good reviews for it, so I'm glad to see the praise is still coming in. Hadley sounds like such an amazing character as does Oliver. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is next up on my tbr pile! :D Cannot wait to read this book! I've been reading really heavy reads lately, so it'll be nice to get into something that's a bit lighter.

    Well said, Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)