Monday, November 15, 2010

Review: The Oracle of Dating by Allison van Diepen

The Oracle of Dating by Allison van Diepen
No one at Kayla’s school knows she’s the famous Oracle of Dating—the anonymous queen of dating advice, given through her own Web site. Kayla doesn’t even have a boyfriend. Two relationship disasters were enough to make her focus on everyone else’s love life. But then her advice backfires on her own best friend. And Kayla starts to seriously obsess about Jared Stewart—the very cute, very mysterious new guy in school. Suddenly, the teen queen of advice needs her own oracle of dating--and she knows just where to find one...

Review:

The Oracle of Dating was a fun and flirty start to what I'm sure will be a great new series. The main character, Kayla, was extremely likable and I loved being able to read about her different experiences. She always kept a level head and never let anyone get the best of her.

In addition to Kayla, she had a great group of friends that always supported her. They were a diverse group who went together perfectly. Each of them was unique and realistic and Allison did a great job of getting into the head of a modern high school student. One of my favorite aspects of the novel was reading about Kayla's website- The Oracle of Dating. She gave out great advice and the website was such a huge part of her life. I understood how she wanted to keep it a secret, but I was happy her sister was in on it. Tracey was another fantastic character. She and Kayla had a great relationship even though at times Kayla seemed like she was the older one. Always giving Tracey advice and being a shoulder to lean on when her relationships didn't work out.

Allison has a great writing style and The Oracle of Dating contained some serious sides as well. Although Kayla spent a lot of her time giving out dating advice, she'd only had two failed relationships. Luckily, Jared enters the picture. I loved Jared. He was the perfect mix of sweet, bad boy that kept both Kayla and the reader guessing. It was great watching their relationship develop and I was crossing my fingers that everything would work out for them.

Overall, The Oracle of Dating was a great, and original, novel that left me eager to start the sequel and to see what happens to Kayla and her friends next. I highly recommend picking this up!

Overall: 4 out of 5 stars

May 1, 2010/Harlequin Teen/256 Pages/Young Adult/Book One

Source: Bought
Other books in the series: The Oracle Rebounds


*Reviewed for Teens Read Too!*

2 comments:

  1. I read the sequel to this book, The Oracle Rebounds, and had similar thoughts to yours. I haven't read The Oracle of Dating, but it's on my TBR. I agree with you about Kayla and reading about her blog. It was cute and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book sounds cute. i might read it! Great Review Kelsey :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)