Monday, October 25, 2010

Secondhand Charm Review

Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Release date: October 12, 2010
Source: Publisher
Other books by this author: The Amaranth Enchantment

In a secluded village, magic sparkles on the edges of the forest. There, a young girl named Evie possesses unusually strong powers as a healer. A gypsy's charms—no more than trinkets when worn by others—are remarkably potent when Evie ties them around her neck. Her talents, and charms, have not escaped the notice of the shy stonemason's apprentice. But Evie wants more than a quiet village and the boy next-door. When the young king's carriage arrives one day, and his footman has fallen ill, Evie might just get her chance after all . . .

Berry's debut novel garnered glowing reviews and strong sales—and now she's done it again with a beautifully woven tale to keep all readers, young and old, absolutely charmed.

Review:

Secondhand Charm was a thrilling and beautifully written sophomore novel by Julie Berry.

Evie is now one of my favorite protagonists. She is brave, determined, and has a mind of her own. I loved reading about her different trials and triumphs and my heart went out to her whenever she got caught in a rut. Her dreams are to attend the University and use her knack for healing to help people everywhere. I also loved Evie's Grandfather and Aidan, the sweet boy next door. Both of them would do anything to ensure Evie was safe and protected, but they still supported her dreams and ambitions.

Secondhand Charm was historical fiction, but it took place in a world of Berry's creation. The people, places, and sights were all of the author's own creation and I enjoyed hearing about the different places Evie visited, especially the royal kingdom.

Evie has a variety of adventures throughout the novel, and I was always on my toes. There was never a page where something new and exciting didn't occur and by the last page I didn't want it to end.

There was some magic and legend tied in. The idea of serpentinas are something I'd never encountered before and it was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the book. There was also romance. It was a charming and sweet romance that was meant to be right from the start and I enjoyed watching Evie and Aidan grow closer throughout the story. There was also some mystery and intrigue with the royal kingdom that Evie got involved in and by the last few pages I was on the edge of my seat- dying to know how things would turn out for Evie and the rest of the characters.

Overall, I definitely recommend picking this book up. It's an entertaining and unpredictable read filled with excitement, romance, and intrigue. Evie was a fantastic main character and her story was so original and always filled with adventure. I can't wait to read more by Berry, including her debut, The Amaranth Enchantment!

Overall: 4.25 out of 5 stars


3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful review. I have to say I wasn't really interested in this one, but your review has sold me. It sounds like a fantastic book and one my students will enjoy after me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelsey, for this heartwarming review! I appreciate it more than I can say. Hope your holidays are filled with wonderful books. Warmly, Julie Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely recommend you pick it up, Jan!

    And you're most welcome Julie! I can't wait to see what's next for you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)