Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Firelight Review

Firelight (Draki #1) by Sophie Jordan
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: September 7, 2010
Source: Publisher

With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

Review:

I've been looking forward to reading Firelight for months. The cover was gorgeous, the early reviews had been full of praise, and the summary sounded AMAZING. Luckily it lived up to all my expectations. Mysterious, romantic, and exciting, Firelight was an overall fantastic YA debut and I'm dying to read the sequel!

To begin with, the plot was extremely original and intriguing. The main character is a draki, a descendant of dragons that can transform into a human. She can also breathe fire- a really rare ability among the draki. Reading about Jacinda and her family history was so interesting to me, and it was amazing how the pride kept their existence a secret from so many. I understood why the pride valued Jacinda and wanted more fire breathers, but I felt sorry for her that she was supposed to mate with someone she didn't really love. The twist involving the hunters was frightening and unique. Especially once Jacinda, her mother, and twin sister escape in the night from the pride and into a real home.

Tamra, Jacinda's twin sister, was a great character, and I really felt her connection with Jacinda even though she was so jealous of Jacinda's abilities and the attention the pride gave her. Tamra just wanted to live a normal human life, while Jacinda longed to keep her draki half alive and strong. Other than Tamra, I really liked a lot of the other characters. Catherine, Jacinda's good friend at school, and even her neighbor who at first seems rude and reclusive. All of the characters, good and bad, major and minor, were well developed and original, and just seemed so real to me.

I love Will! Even though he was a hunter, meant to destroy Jacinda, he cared for her so much. He was protective, loving, and just an overall sweet guy. Jacinda and Will were perfect for each other. She was strong, determined, and a little shy- just like him. Both Will and Jacinda wanted something out of life that their families didn't, and it was great that they had each other for support and understanding.

There is a lot of excitement and twists in the plot, and I was constantly on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what was going to happen next. Sophie Jordan is a terrific writer, and I loved Firelight from the start. Her descriptions make the characters and settings come alive.

In the end, I definitely recommend picking up a copy of Firelight as soon as possible. It is a daring and original YA debut, and the characters (especially Will and Jacinda) are two of my favorites. My only complaint is: When will the sequel will be released??!

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars

33 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Will sounds really good! ;)
    This cover is really beautiful. Glad to hear that you really liked it and that it lived up to the hype/expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a dragon novel! I've never read one before. But this sounds amazing. I've got to pick it up. Awesome review! You've got me wanting to read it now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! Drakis are very interesting. Jacinda and Will seem like such wonderful characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. The book sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Before I knew what the story was about I didn't understand the cover lol. I like it though :)
    Thanks for explaining more about the background of the book. That helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds so good & everyone that has read it raves about it. It will definitely be one I read soon hopefully!

    I think one really cool thing that the author did was include Tamra & all the complexities that that relationship entail. That makes this story a little deeper than other paranormals out there right now. At least, I think so. I haven't read it yet so I can't know for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover is beautiful! :) I can't wait to read this now! It sounds so good. I like that it's about dragons/humans because that's so original. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one so much. I'm also excited to read about something new for once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liked your review, particulary the part where you said how "there is a lot of excitement and twists in
    the plot, and I was constantly on the edge of my seat..." Love books like that! Glad you liked the book. It sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! A lot of times the hype outranks the books, and I'm left disappointed. So, that's really good. Plus, the premise can be intruiging and the writing can suck, so that's good too! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of those books that is really on my radar right now. I've heard so much about it. I think a dragon as a main character is different and at least it isn't a vampire LOL... getting a bit of overload on those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting sounding book. Thank you for the great review, I'm going to have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first thing that caught my eye is the cover, it's absolutely gorgeous! I've been hearing a lot of good things about this book and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover was a great pull in for me, too. And I loved that it's not only a beautiful cover, but also a beautiful story! Great job with the review, you explained things fluidly and I finally have an idea of how great this book is. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good. The draki are a little different from all the other supernatural beings out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to reaf this book, must buy soon

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to read this novel! Great review--and the cover totally rocks. Love the scales on her cheekbone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have heard a lot of great things about this book and I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so difficult to be original these days, and though the idea of dragon-shifters isn't new, Sophie's put a new spin on it in this book by bringing in the evolution factor of the draki. This will be such a great read! I think I'll really love the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your description of Will. I may have to go pick this up post haste!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book... it sounds so great! And Will... just reading your review of him is making me swoon!
    Put it on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the review! Ive heard a lot of good things about this book and have been thinking of reading it. Now I definitely will :) !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard that this is a good book. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful review. Thank you so much for offering this and the contest! I really want to win Firelight. *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love great character driven novels with strong female heroines like Jacinda.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like such a great book! Can't wait to read it! Enjoyed your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved your review. I was kinda interested in reading this book but after reading your review of Firelight it is so going on my to be read pile A.S.A.P.....^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I got so into Firelight that I read it in FIVE hours. The minute I opened it I was pulled inside. I loved it! I even cried a little at the end. I just love Will and Jacinda. Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never read a novel about a dragon before, let alone one that can become human. This sounds so interesting and I can't wait to read the twists you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You forced me to go and have to buy this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've wanted to go out and get this book since it's come out! I don't have the money yet, but hopefully soon. <3

    Awesome review! I totally agree with you on the cover :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)