Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress Review

Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress by Tina Ferraro
Publisher: Delacorte BFYR
Release date: March 13, 2007
Source: Author
Other books by this author: How to Hook a Hottie and The ABC's of Kissing Boys

Sophomore year, Nicolette Antonovich was dumped two days before prom by the hottest guy at school. As a result, she became the proud owner of one unworn, perfectly magical pink vintage dress. But Nic is determined to put that night behind her for good. She's a junior now— older, wiser, and completely overwhelmed by a new set of problems: (1) The bank's ready to foreclose on her childhood home. (2) Her father's too busy with his "replacement" daughter to care. (3) Her best friend's brother is an eternal thorn in her side. (4) Her best friend isn't exactly the rose attached to that thorn. (5) Rumors are flying around school that could get her kicked off the volleyball team, which would (6) ruin all chances of a college scholarship. (7) She still likes the boy who dumped her in the first place. (8) And what in the world do you do with an unworn prom dress, anyway? Strangely, it's getting to the bottom of this last dilemma that just might hold the answer to all Nic's problems.
Review:

Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress was a great read; I started it and finished it all in one day. It wasn’t just the fact that I really liked Nicolette and felt like I knew her already, I liked the unique plot and the important messages the novel was relaying. Friendship and family had big roles in Top Ten Uses and honesty did, too. I really liked Alison and Nicolette’s friendship and I’m glad everything worked out for them in the end. I could see Alison’s side as well as Nic’s so I think it was fair how they worked things out. I knew from the start I didn’t like Rascal, he was one of those playboy’s who just make you want to cringe. Jared was a great character and his and Nic’s relationship was so cute. One thing about Top Ten Uses was the characters- they were just how I expected- Kylie was the beautiful, popular girl dating the “hot” football star, while Nic and Alison were just gliding by under the radar. It was cute, and maybe a little predictable, but I really enjoyed it.

All in all, Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress was really good. This was Tina Ferraro’s debut novel for teens, so I’m definitely looking forward to reading more of her books. I really liked the ending of Top Ten Uses and it was a cause I’d never known about before. Donating your prom dress so more girls get to have their special moment is a great thing to do, especially since most girls never wear theirs again, I’ll definitely have to find out more about it. The cover also really fit the book. It was pink and frilly and the dress with numbers was a great idea!

In addition, Top Ten Uses is a great read for any girl. It shows how important friendships are, and that sometimes you need to compromise. Nicolette’s life was complicated at times, but she proved that you can overcome anything if you believe you can. If you’re looking for a light, chick-lit read, with great sub-plots and characters, Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress is the book for you. Also, I loved the headings of each chapter that shared a use for an unworn prom dress- very cute and original. Looking forward to reading more books by this author in the future!

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars


15 comments:

  1. aww it does sound cute. I'm going 2 my prom. I 2 will probably never wear the dress again hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds, like something I'd probably read. I'll be looking out for this one. It sounds, so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! you made me want to read this book, even though we don't even have proms in my country.

    I'll add it to my to-buy list

    AG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I might have to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really enjoyed this story (and I for sure never wore my prom dress again). Try reading Tina's latest, The ABCs of Kissing Boys next--so cute! I read it all at once : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I like reading about friendships and this one does sound very good. I think it;s also a great gift :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover and it sounds really cute. Also I love the idea of each chapter starting off with a use for a prom dress, very helpful since you only wear a prom dress once (the only thing I know to do with it is donate it to the Cinderella Project, or the Glass Slipper project.).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds so good, I've wanted to read it for awhile! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds really fun! I've already got it on my wish list for my library as I know my students would enjoy reading it, especially if it's a fast read. That way they can all share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review!
    This looks like such a cute book, I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was adorable! I loved Jared too... and I thought it was so funny when he eavesdropped on his sister's conversation with Nic. xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really cute book! I've never heard of it before now, but I'm already dying to read it! And i've never heard of donating prom dresses either. I sort of regarded prom in horror, so I didn't go, but if I had, and I knew I could donate my dress, I would've.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm afraid I'll never attend prom. It is my junior year ths year and since I started homeschooling my sophmore year, no prom for me. Though I doubt I would have gone if I still attended the high school. This books sounds really good and I've actually been wanting to read it for a while now. Glad you enjoyed it. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying to sell my unworn prom dress it is soo cute sterling silver strapless that can be worn as a prom dress or an evening gown. I would like to know if any thrift stores would buy it or would it be considered a donation?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)