Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review: Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns . . .

Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. Fortunately, they've been extinct for a hundred and fifty years.

Or not.

Astrid had always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend—thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to the prom—Astrid finds herself headed to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries.

However, at the cloisters all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from the crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to—perhaps most dangerously of all—her growing attraction to a handsome art student . . . an attraction that could jeopardize everything.

Review:

This was such an amazing book, it's really hard to describe how I felt about it. To begin with, I thought the topic sounded so far fetched- I mean killer unicorns, come on! From the first page I was hooked. There was already a lot of action and I was learning things about unicorns I never in my wildest dreams would have believed. Peterfreund presents the idea of killer unicorns in a way that makes you believe in them. Her writing style has a nice flow, and the historical facts were great. I learned more about Alexander the Great and the Goddess Diana then I ever have in history class! Unicorns have always been something I would love to read about and this book just made me want to find out all I could about unicorns. Fast paced, exciting... this book had it all.

Rampant took me longer to read then normal, because I was so caught up in school work and everything, but every free chance I had I was reading it. The ending left me wondering if there's going to be a sequel! I really hope so. As I was reading I would shout out in surprise, stand up in shock (yes spilling my somewhat surprised cat onto the floor), and cheer with joy. I love books that draw emotions from me, and this book definitely did. I've been reading a jumble of book genres lately, but fantasy is one of my favorites, and this book was a refreshing look at how great fantasy can be. I would highly recommend this to anyone- even people who haven't liked fantasy before.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars

August 25, 2009/HarperTeen/402 Pages/Young Adult/Book One

Source: Publisher
Other books in the series: Ascendant (Killer Unicorns #2)

9 comments:

  1. <3 this book and I'm glad you did too!! :D Hope you'll like Give Up the Ghost as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! it's a good thing i don't have 2 wait 4 this book. Its staring @ me on the shelf :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review!
    I've been dying to read this book, and your review has convinced me furthermore to read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book in my TBR pile and after reading your review it's just made me want to start it even more which I didn't think was possible. :)

    Oh, and there is a sequel in the works, it's coming out sometime in the fall of next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I have Rampant, since unicorns are f-ing awesome!

    Great review Kelsey :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am DYING to read this book! I've got it from the library and my mom is reading it now. Killer unicorns! What's better and more original than that?

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you liked it, since I just got a copy myself! I've been wanting to read it since Peterfreund announced the story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your wonderful review! The book sounds really good! This book is going to be on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I'm DYING to read that book!! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)