Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Candor Book Review

Candor by Pam Bachorz
Publisher: Egmont USA
Release date: September 22, 2009
Source: One ARC Tours

In the model community of Candor, Florida, every teen wants to be like Oscar Banks. The son of the town’s founder, Oscar earns straight As, is student-body president, and is in demand for every club and cause.
But Oscar has a secret. He knows that parents bring their teens to Candor to make them respectful, compliant–perfect–through subliminal Messages that carefully correct and control their behavior. And Oscar’s built a business sabotaging his father’s scheme with Messages of his own, getting his clients out before they’re turned. After all, who would ever suspect the perfect Oscar Banks?
Then he meets Nia, the girl he can’t stand to see changed. Saving Nia means losing her forever. Keeping her in Candor, Oscar risks exposure . . . and more.

Review:

Wow, I've been reading a lot of great books lately and this one was no exception. Candor was an amazing read. I read it pretty quickly, too. It reminded me a bit of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and The Giver by Lois Lowery. The first thing that captured me was the line on the back cover: "Stepford makes the perfect wife, but Candor teens are changed for life." Now anyone who has read or seen the movie, The Stepford Wives, knows exactly how scary this quote is. I was hooked from the first chapter and eagerly wanting to read more. The creepy thing about this book was how quickly one man can take control over so many people. There is technology out there that can control us without us even knowing. As I was reading I re-thought everything I was doing. I'm really thinking this right? I really want to do this, don't I? This book was eery in the sense that kept you reading, but also thinking outside the book, about what was really happening in your life. The characters weren't my favorite, but I did like how Oscar wanted to help people and fought to stay independent. The ending left me wanting to find out what happened, so I'm crossing my fingers for a sequel! I would highly recommend this book!

Now, some people might be put off my the topic of this book. Mind control, uh, no thanks. Well this book pulled me in and wouldn't let me go until the last page. I was reading on the bus, during study hall, in bed at night, any chance I could. The plot was so original and each chapter ended with a cliff hanger. This book was great, and I definitely want to get my own copy as soon as it's released- which is pretty soon, one week from today (also two days after my birthday, which if you didn't already know is this Sunday!!!) Anyway, continuing with the review, I think every teen needs to read this book, it has some important messages (no pun intended!!!) and is an overall great read.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. i know right, i was sneaking a page anytime i could. I'm almost done w/ candor :P

    aww K!! ur b-day!! wooo hooo! happy early b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I can't wait to read it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review!
    I want to read this one SO bad!

    Happy Early B-Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Review!
    I just got Candor and I was already looking forward to read it, but after your review i'm DYING to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing review. Your review just made me want to read the book even more. I will have to add this to my wishlist instead of my TBR pile because I'm broke xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this!!! It sounds sooo good!
    Great review, you've just made me want tor ead it more! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)