Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Luxe Book Review

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: November 20, 2007
Source: Bought
Other books in the series: Rumors, Envy, and Splendor

Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with sly smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899...

Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. But when the girls discover their family's status is far from secure, suddenly everything is a threat to their golden future. Set in a world of luxury and deception, this thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.
Review:

While reading The Luxe I felt like I had stepped into the time traveling car from Back to The Future. One minute I was watching my family walk around in tshirts and shorts, the next I was tangled in a scene of girls in long flowing dresses, and men in suits, all rich and well off. The characters were completely different than anyone alive today, but you felt as though you were right there in the story. The prolouge really got the novel going and from that page onward I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen. Filled with romance, intrigue, suspense, and mystery this book is great for fans of any genre.

From the first page, I was sucked into the book. Anna Godbersen's writing style kept me hooked, by having different character's tell the story, I enjoyed reading each person's point of view. Historical fiction has always been one of my favorite genres, and this book didn't disappoint. Although, I didn't really develop a liking for any of the characters, I felt this book didn't try to drown the characters in goodness, it showed their true personalities. As soon as I finished The Luxe I was ready for the sequel. I definitely need to make a trip to Barnes and Noble soon to get the rest of the series!


Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)