Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Clarity by Kim Harrington

When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

Review:

Clarity was a fantastic and unique new mystery with a magical twist. I loved the idea of a family of psychics running a business in Cape Cod. Clare, her mother, and her brother Perry were each complex and likable characters. I enjoyed getting to know this fun family and to see how much they loved each other. The fact that each of them had their own psychic power just made everything that much better. Throw in a murder mystery and you’ve got one awesome debut and series starter!

Clare, the main character, was a snarky, fun teenager and a great narrator. She had me chuckling out loud and rooting for her success throughout. Her family has always been the outcasts of the town and she has no friends at school. Most of the town is dubious of their abilities and think they’re fakes. She had recently broke up with the one guy she truly cared for (Justin) and is dealing with some of her unresolved feelings for him. Enter Gabriel. The steamy and mysterious son of her town’s new detective. I liked both guys and they each truly cared for Clare and wouldn’t let anything happen to her. There are a ton of fascinating secondary characters and each had a key role in the story.

When a teenage girl is murdered in Clare’s town her summer suddenly becomes a lot more complicated. The mayor (and Justin’s father) convinces the detective to let Clare use some of her abilities to try and catch the criminal and the detective sends his son to work with Clarity because he has no faith in her actually being psychic. The mystery aspect of this story was so awesome and kept me guessing to the end. Like an Agatha Christie novel the real culprit isn’t revealed until the end and it leaves you thinking why didn’t I ever suspect them?! The plot was fast paced and Kim Harrington packed a punch with her debut novel. She threw a curve ball when I least expected it and I enjoyed watching Clare, Justin, and Gabriel try and solve the mystery. A lot of scary things occurred and my hands were often gripping the pages, my heart pounding.

The sub-plots of Clarity were expertly woven in to the main storyline and things tied together in the end. Although I’m hoping a few things will be resolved in the sequel.

Clarity was a book that I am going to be recommending again and again. It has a likable protagonist, a love triangle that I can’t even choose a side (although I’m leaning towards Team Gabriel!), action and intrigue, and fun physic powers! I’m looking forward to seeing what’s next for Clarity in the sequel, Perception, which releases next year.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars

March 1, 2011/Scholastic Point/246 pages/Young Adult/Book One

Source: Publisher (ARC)
Other books in the series: Perception (2012)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, it really sounds great and I hope I can read it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one right now. I haven't gotten to far, but I already like Clarity's snarky comments about the tourists. What she calls the "Tourist tuxedo- tan shorts and a silk flowered shirt" and the traffic on 28 is only too true. In summer it takes three times as long to get anywhere especially on Friday or Sunday. I live on Cape Cod so I'm looking for references to places I know.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to read this soon. I like your review and how the town fits into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard lots of good things about this one.
    Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read another review for this one and she loved this one too. I'm glad you enjoyed it too and I'm looking forward reading it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book has been on my wish list for ages now, so I'm so glad to see you enjoyed! I love the sound of it. I mean a mystery, a romantic triangle, AND physic powers- who wouldn't want to read it? Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, so feel free to leave your thoughts :)